Whether due to a previous pregnancy, changes in one’s weight, genetics, lifestyle factors, or age-related losses in skin tone and strength, a woman’s natural breasts typically sag over time and droop to a new low on the chest wall, leaving them less youthful and less aesthetically pleasing.
Breast lift surgery in Baltimore with Dr. Rottman can correct this by raising the breasts up into a more youthful position and improving their shape and contours without the use of synthetic implants. As a double board-certified, fellowship-trained plastic surgeon, Dr. Rottman can help you look and feel more youthful and confident by restoring beauty to your breasts.
Before & After Breast Lift Surgery with Dr. Rottman
What is a Breast Lift?
A woman’s breasts can change with the passage of time due to the effects of gravity and the natural loss of skin elasticity. Having children, weight fluctuations, smoking, sun damage, and the effects of aging can cause the breasts to lose their full youthful shape and their firm quality.
A breast lift, or mastopexy, is a surgical procedure that doesn’t enlarge the breasts, but instead lifts the breasts up into a higher and more youthful position and places the nipple in a more pleasing location. It does this by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding skin tissue, allowing a more rounded shape and contour to the breasts. Since the areolas also tend to get larger with age, a breast lift reduces them, too, making them more proportional and visibly pleasing.
How the Procedure Works
Dr. Rottman removes excess breast skin and tightens the remaining tissue to form a firmer, rejuvenated breast contour. After making an incision, Dr. Rottman lifts and reshapes the breast tissue while lifting the nipple and areola. If you have chosen to do so, he will reduce the areolas at this time. Excess skin is removed before the incision is closed, and the healing process can begin.
Dr. Rottman may choose from a few different incision types for your procedure based on the size, shape, and condition of your breasts and the goal of the breast lift.
Glossary of Breast Lift Terms
- Mastopexy: The surgical term for creating a more youthful breast contour with a breast lift.
- Breast implants: Medical-grade devices filled with either saline fluid or silicone gel placed within the breasts to increase their size. Breast implants are sometimes paired with a breast lift for optimal lifting and enlargement results.
- Incision: A cut made surgically in the skin, generally to allow the surgeon to access something within the body.
- Excision: Surgically removing skin with a scalpel or other surgical method.
- Areola: The pigmented skin surrounding your nipple.
- Elongation: A term that refers to the stretched and lengthened appearance of saggy and deflated breasts.
- Sedation: Medications administered either orally or intravenously to create relaxation so you feel no pain during the breast lift procedure.
What are the Benefits of a Breast Lift?
After a breast lift, your breasts will appear fuller, perkier, more natural, and more youthful. The procedure can also help reduce strain and chaffing caused by excess skin and tissue.
- Perkier bust
- Fuller breasts
- More youthful appearance
- More natural look and feel to the breasts
Am I a Candidate for a Breast Lift?
If you are bothered by the fact your breasts have sagged or lost their shape and volume over time, a breast lift in Maryland is definitely worth considering. Ideal candidates for a breast lift:
- Are physically healthy
- Are non-smokers
- Are in a stable weight range
- Have nipples that point downward
- Have flat, elongated, or pendulous breasts
- Have nipples that fall below the breast crease
- May have breasts that hang down at different heights
Breast lift surgery is typically recommended for women who have lost volume in their breasts as a result of pregnancy, breastfeeding, aging, or significant weight loss.
Reasons for a Breast Lift
Women often choose to have a breast lift in order to restore a more youthful look, feel, and placement of their breasts. Because the procedure doesn’t require the use of synthetic implants, but instead simply removes excess skin that is allowing the breasts to sag, many patients prefer it as a more natural alternative to breast augmentation. Though a breast lift does not improve breast volume, it does improve the aesthetics of the breasts.
Breast lift surgery improves the volume of your breasts without implants. The procedure removes loose or stretched skin to restore a youthful, refreshed look. Women who undergo a breast lift in Baltimore, MD with Dr. Rottman experience an increase in self-confidence and overall happiness with their body image.
Breast Lift Incisions
Your breast lift surgery will involve making one of the following incision types in order to lift the breasts by reducing the amount of excess skin that is currently allowing the breasts to droop and sag below their ideal position.
- Periareolar Incision: Women with a small amount of excess skin can have two incisions placed in concentric circles around the areolas. The envelope of skin holding the breast tissue is then tightened up by removing some of that skin.
- Lollipop Incision: For women with a moderate amount of excess skin tissue, in addition to that circle incisions around the areolas, an incision can be made vertically down from the areola to the breast crease, allowing the removal of even more skin and excess tissue.
- Horizontal Incision: For women with the greatest volume of excess skin tissue, three incisions may be made. The first being the circular incision around the areola, the second being vertically down the breast, and the third being along the breast crease.
After excess skin is removed, the skin envelope is tightened and the incisions are meticulously closed.
Breast Lift Patient Testimonial
I went to Dr Rottman for a breast lift and I couldnt be happier. He is THE BEST! Not only are my results better than I imagined, he is so kind and has great bedside manner.Katie W.
When is the best time to get a breast lift?
The ideal time for a breast lift varies from patient to patient but is usually well after you have reached physical maturity and you find that your nipples are pointing downward and sit below the breast crease. The most common age for a breast lift is between the ages of 30 and 54, which is when 78 percent of patients who have the procedure choose to get it done.
Will there be scarring after?
Scars occur any time the skin is cut, so scarring will happen as a result of a breast lift, but it tends to disappear almost entirely over time, usually within six months to a year. Dr. Rottman takes great care to ensure the incisions and suturing are done just right to reduce the visibility of scarring, and he will provide you aftercare instructions that help minimize their appearance over time. By a year after the procedure, it should be difficult or impossible for another to tell you’ve had a breast lift.
Before and after results
Women are often pleasantly surprised by how much a breast lift changes the way they look and feel. Though the surgery doesn’t significantly change the size of the breasts, it makes a dramatic improvement by correcting their shape and contour. See Dr. Rottman’s breast lift gallery for the stunning results achieved.
Breast lift recovery
Full recovery from a breast lift typically takes 2 to 3 weeks, but most patients will be able to return to a desk job or other light work within 3 to 7 days. You will be provided full postoperative care instructions, will have all of your questions answered before discharge, and will be able to reach us directly throughout their recovery. You should expect mild to moderate discomfort for a few days after the operation, with medication being prescribed to manage pain. Dressings and a special bra will be recommended throughout recovery, and bandages and any drains used will be removed at a follow-up visit to our office.
How much does a breast lift cost?
As every patient has different body ideals and different degrees of breast sagging and excess skin tissue, it’s difficult to give a blanket price estimate without a personal consultation. Nationally, the surgical fee for a breast lift tends to average around $4,700, with some additional fees required for anesthesia and OR or hospital facilities. To help make these costs more manageable, we offer CareCredit® and AlphaeonCredit® financing options. Please visit our financing page.
What procedures can I combine with my breast lift?
A well-done breast lift can go a long way toward improving the appearance and position of the breasts, but it can’t handle all common breast concerns. If during your personal consultation Dr. Rottman finds that a breast lift alone won’t achieve all of your goals for the procedure, he will recommend that a breast reduction be done for women with overly large breasts, or that breast augmentation be done for women with breasts that are much smaller than they’d like them to be.
Breast Lift - Frequently Asked Questions
When Will I Know if I Need a Breast Lift?
Over time, breast tissue can thin and stretch out causing the breasts to sag. For many women who are unhappy with drooping breasts, a breast lift is recommended.
Will My Results be Permanent?
A breast lift can last for a significant amount of time. Unfortunately, aging and gravity will play a role in exactly how long your breast lift will last – but typically results last years.
Will the Scars Be Visible?
The incisions will be placed in the most discreet locations possible, but scars will be visible for a certain length of time. They will soften and eventually fade.
What Kind of Materials are Inserted During a Breast Lift? And Are They Safe?
To add more internal support, plastic surgeons may add an internal bra, which is a thin layer of mesh material. The mesh serves as support for the contents of the breast, alleviating the load that is placed on the skin. Internal bras are made of fully absorbable mesh materials and dissolve over time while also leaving support.
Why Choose Dr. Steven J. Rottman for a Breast Lift in Baltimore?
Dr. Rottman specializes in breast surgeries and went through extensive additional training under internationally acclaimed leaders in the field. He brings extensive experience and a caring and personal approach to each of his patients, taking time and care to fully understand their concerns and goals for each procedure. As an accomplished, double-board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Rottman is recognized for his surgical talent and his approach to plastic and reconstructive surgery that produces exceptionally natural-looking results. Thousands of satisfied patients are a testament to his surgical skill and care.
Dr. Steven J. Rottman is a leading cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgeon in Baltimore. He is recognized for his surgical talents, and his approach to plastic and reconstructive surgery that produces exceptionally natural-looking results.
As an accomplished, double-board certified plastic surgeon, he employs both traditional and the advanced surgical techniques, based on individual need.
Please contact us today to schedule your personal consultation for a breast lift in Baltimore, Maryland with Dr. Rottman.
Schedule a ConsultationContact
Practice policy regarding COVID-19:
Safety of our patients is our number one priority and every action we take is based on this. We are creating an office environment that is safe and comfortable for everyone.
General Office Precautions:
- Screening concierge at the Front Desk
- Taking steps to allow for social distancing of six feet or more
- Limiting the number of patients in the office
- Strict cleaning protocol for the entire office with a disinfectant effective against COVID-19
- Spacing appointment times further apart to minimize patient interactions
Daily Staff Screening:
- Screening questionnaire every morning
- Temperature check every morning
- Symptomatic staff will be sent home
- Cleaning of all personal cell phones and washing hands upon entering office
- Staff will wear face coverings at all times
- Increased and enhanced cleaning and sanitization of exam rooms and common areas
Screening of Patients:
- All patients will have their temperature checked upon arrival
- Patients with temperatures >100 F will need to reschedule their appointment
- COVID-19 Patient Screening Questionnaire upon arrival
- A face covering / mask is required to enter the office
- Patients should have makeup removed and hair in a ponytail
- Patients wash hands or use hand sanitizer upon entering office
- We will continue to offer Virtual Consultations. Please email photos to email@example.com and call Emily to schedule at 410.321.6868.
Steven J Rottman, MD.